Izumi Miyazaki, haircut, 2016 © 2016 IzumiMiyazaki
Izumi Miyazaki, pan, 2013 © 2016 IzumiMiyazaki
Izumi Miyazaki, riceball mountain, 2016 © 2016 IzumiMiyazaki
Izumi Miyazaki (b. 1994) took up photography in a high school camera club and attracted international attention while still at university via internet postings. Juxtaposing landscapes and familiar objects with images of herself to create humorous and dramatic scenes, Miyazaki gives us fresh perspectives on the world. This exhibition, appropriating an entire building in the Gion district, brings together new and recent works by an artist who continues to gain popularity overseas, as featured in Time and Libération.
- Izumi Miyazaki
- Born in 1994 in Yamanashi Prefecture, Izumi Miyazaki graduated in 2016 from Musashino Art University in Tokyo, where she majored in Imaging Arts. While still a student, she began taking surreal self-portraits and posting them online on Tumblr, to great acclaim. She has since been profiled internationally on Vice and CNN, and in print in Time and Libération. Her first solo show, Cute & Cruel (Wild Project Gallery, Luxembourg, 2016), was followed by a Japan solo show, stand-in (Art-U Room, Tokyo, 2016) and an invitation to participate in the Fondazione Prada-sponsored group show Give Me Yesterday (Osservatorio, Milano, 2016–17).
- Frank Horvat
- SHIMADAI GALLERY KYOTO
- 10:00 – 18:00 / Closed: Mondays (except 4/30)
- Masahisa Fukase
- Kondaya Genbei Chikuin-no-Ma
- 10:00 – 18:00 / Closed: Tuesdays (except 5/1)
- Jacques Henri Lartigue
- Hosomi Museum
- 10:00 – 18:00 / Closed: Mondays, Tuesdays when Monday falls on a national holiday (until 6/3)