Gideon Mendel, Florence Abraham, Igbogene, Bayelsa State, Nigeria. November 2012 © Gideon Mendel / Drowning World
Gideon Mendel, Francisca Chagas dos Santos, Taquari District, Rio Branco , Brazil. March 2015 © Gideon Mendel / Drowning World
Gideon Mendel, Victor and Hope America, Igbogene, Bayelsa State, Nigeria, November 2012 © Gideon Mendel / Drowning World
Gideon Mendel, Home on White Wing Lane, Memorial neighbourhood, Houston, Texas, USA, September 2017 © Gideon Mendel / Drowning World
Curated by Mark Sealy Director Autograph ABP. London.
- Gideon Mendel
- Gideon Mendel intimate style of image-making and long-term commitment to socially engaged projects has earned international acclaim. Born in Johannesburg in 1959, Mendel established his career with his searing photographs of the final years of apartheid. In 1991 he moved to London, and continued to respond to global issues, especially HIV/AIDS. Since 2007, Mendel has been working on Drowning World, an art and advocacy project about flooding that is his personal response to climate change. Solo shows of Drowning World have been shown at many galleries and public installations around the word, most recently at Les Recontres de la Photographie in Arles. During 2016, Mendel received the inaugural Jackson Pollock Prize for Creativity and the Greenpeace Photo Award. Shortlisted for the Prix Pictet in 2015, he has also received the Eugene Smith Award for Humanistic Photography, the Amnesty International Media Award, and six World Press awards.
- Masahisa Fukase
- Kondaya Genbei Chikuin-no-Ma
- 10:00 – 18:00 / Closed: Tuesdays (except 5/1)
- Noriko Hayashi
- Kyoto Museum for World Peace, Ritsumeikan University
- 9:30 – 16:30（金）19:00 / Closed: Mondays (until 7/16)
- Kyoto City Central Wholesale Market, Bldg No. 10, 11 south wall
- 壁面に常時展示 / Closed: None